In case you were wondering, these are my recipes

| Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A lot of people have been questioning whether or not I'm actually coming up with my own recipes or if I'm getting them from other sources. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am creating these recipes as I go along. I'm basically winging it from day to day actually. I haven't looked off of any cooking blogs or websites to find any of the recipes on my site. I'm sure if you looked out there hard enough you would probably find similar recipes, but unless I'm making fish ice cream tacos or something, I'm probably not going to have anything 100% original.

The whole point of this blog is to show people that they can cook with limited resources. I'm not just talking about money, but a lack of cooking skills or appropriate appliances should not hinder you from having a great tasting meal. I'm trying to get across to everyone that you can adapt almost any recipe to be made in a dorm room setting. On the same note, you can convert almost any recipe I create here into something you can make in a household setting. All you have to do is replace the microwave with an oven and the grill with a stove top and then adjust for heat differences and cooking times. It really is that simple!

Now I thought I'd give people a little bit of background on how I started cooking in the first place, since some people have been asking me that as well. I probably started cooking when I was around 15, which was five years ago. I started out by just hanging out with my mom in the kitchen and watching what she would do. From there I asked if she could teach me how to make jambalaya and gumbo since those are my two favorite dishes. So she showed me step by step how to make it, and after watching her do it two or three times I ended up trying it out myself.

After that I learned the basics of cooking meats, which is the core of most of the meals I eat. I began to realize that cooking really isn't that bad once you know some basic steps, and from there as long as you know the terminology used in recipes you can make just about anything.

It actually got to the point before I left for college that I was the one who was cooking most of the meals in the house. My mom and dad both worked and I got off around noon my senior year, so I would get bored and just cook a meal.

You know how some people can hear music and be able to play it back instantly without seeing any of the music in front of them? Well I've gotten to the point where I can recreate most thing's I've eaten in the past with my own spin on it, without using recipes as a guide. Granted, this does end up going horribly wrong some times. I've made things before that I had to force myself to eat because I didn't want to throw it away, but that kind of stuff happens when you are experimenting.

Summary: No formal background in cooking, everything on my website is my own creation, or inspired by my mom's cooking. It got to the point where I knew what mixes well and what doesn't mix well and I just started making my own meals.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Statcounter